A Steady Rest for Every Project
know when you're woodworking you want to create perfectly smooth pieces
every time. And here at The Spin Doctor, we offer durable,
customized steady rests that can be built to your specific requests
including color of powder coating, size, and the number and position of
arms with wheels. Our device is very strong by the thickness of the
metal and the design of the ring. The alignment of the steady rest to
the lathe, arms and wheels is automatic, so the turner can feel
confident that with little effort our steady rests will work properly to
provide an even result with little vibration. Work quickly and
aggressively with our superior steady rests!
Create perfection every time with a custom Clark Steady Rest!
Steady rest rings are 3/8" thick (12-16 are 1/4" thick) and bent from a 3" x 1.5" angle iron with a diameter 6 inches larger than the swing of your lathe.
- This creates a very strong steady rest, the size allows the wheels to be retracted out of the way of the project.
- Steady arms are 1.25" in diameter aluminum with a double flat milled section to register arms in the proper position. The arms are held in place by 2 set screws.
- Clark Steady Rests are in operation all over the world!! since the year 2000. Built TANK TOUGH! Powdercoated to the color of your choice.
NOTE: As an example, A STEADY REST with a 20" swing and 3 arms would be $500
Clark Steady Rests are customized to your lathe and specific turning style.
- Select a Multi-Steady (contact me) that can be used on up to 3 different sized lathes.
- Select the size swing of your lathe
- Select the style base you would like.
- Flat Base - Most 3-4 arm version steady rests would use a Flat Base. Most small swing version steady rests would use a Flat Base. Note: Any size steady rest can be designed with the Wrap Around Base - see below.
- Wrap Around Base - The Wrap-Around-Base
is useful for those wanting an extra set of arms more underneath their
project. It also provides a pair of bolts in the vertical portion which
meet up with the body of the lathe for even more stability.
- # Arms - Select more arms if you want the smoothest operation especially when
hollowing projects with voids or heavy projects. The standard 3
steady rest will handle everything quite well. However, more
always better. Of course more
cost more money. Because the wood becomes out of round very quickly
during turning, the more wheels you have on the project, the smoother
the experience will be. I had a turner try a 3 then an 8 wheel steady
rest. He said it was like driving a broken down pickup when using 3
arms and like driving a 7-series BMW with 8 wheels!
- Next - First please click on the photo below of the white steady rest to go to the next page to see more details as well as google reviews. When you are ready to order, then look through the list in the "CREATE your Clark Steady Rest" menu option. There you can then find the swing size
of your lathe. For base style click on the photo. The succeding page
will allow you to select
color, arm position and # as well as # of arms and